The first recipe
New England Clam Chowder Stuck in the Midwest
- 1 (10 oz) can baby clams – drained, liquid reserved
- 3 medium russet potatoes – peeled, cut to 1/2″ dice
- 2 medium carrots – peeled, cut to 1/2″ dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion – minced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2-2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 pinch cayenne (or a dash of hot sauce) – optional
to taste salt and pepper
Place potatoes and carrots in a medium saucepan. Add water to about 1/2 inch above veggies. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until just fork tender. About 10 minutes.
When veggies are done drain in colander and set aside. Return pan to medium heat. Add butter, when melted add onion. Sautée onion until translucent. About 2 minutes. Add garlic. Sautée 1 minute more. Always stirring frequently.
Add flour. Cook 2 minutes, wisking constantly. Wisk in clam juice, evaporated milk, and milk. Bring to a simmer, wisking constantly to prevent clumping and sticking.
Simmer until broth resembles a thin gravy. Add celery seed and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently stir in clams, potatoes, and carrots.
Reduce heat to medium low and cook 5 minutes more. If you’d like the soup a little thinner add up to 1/2 cup more milk. Dish up and enjoy!
The second recipe on the next page